Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dear Rob Kalin

"The first rule in privacy management is every such setting must be made an explicit opt-in, not the default."

I did NOT use my real name in my profile (since I signed up years ago when things were more clear and I did so very intentionally)

My SISTER, who also got no email about this, was only just NOW aware that her real name was public... and since Wednesday SEARCHABLE.
She bought one innocent item from a friend of a friend (If she want's something of mine she says "for my birthday I want an ______") and her field is such that no one is likely to be harassing her about her purchase since co workers are every bit as geeky as she is... no creeps, no stalkers.

but yeah, a different situation and she could be dealing with a stranger who calls and says "I see you shop on ETSY..."

feedback being visible is NOT a problem (though maybe give a CHOICE with each purchase whether or not the link back and photo of the item will be visible in the feedback)

but real names re: a shopping site should NEVER be out in front OR searchable, with the exception of sellers who are just fine with their real name out there.

I have a pretty much one of a kind name (I did stumble upon ONE person with my same "real name" who is not in my area at all... ) I use the same screen name EVERYWHERE so in many ways my screen name is a different kind of "real name".


Yeah... more and more the responses to this are like "oh we didn't expect to get caught and we'll never admit we might POSSIBLY have made an error." You get more respect with an "I'm sorry honey, I messed up, let me fix it... I'll never do anything so stupid again." (even though, being human we always DO, but hopefully it will be a brand new FLAVOR of stupid the next time.)

when there were a FLOOD of concerns from the moment the People Search went up on WEDNESDAY. (and the 1 concern that was responded to was the LEAST important of the concerns)

Sorry, it was a "shit storm" from the minute it was released... that's a sign that it may seriously BE an issue.

The lack of a serious THOUGHT OUT and considered response from admin is DISRESPECTFUL to the customers.

we're all human, we DO make mistakes...
papering over the holes in the wall isn't a good way to deal with the issues.

each mistake should be a learning experience...after the Treasury glitch and the response to THAT, installing the "People Search" should have been postponed indefinitely... and the push to get people to put up their "real names" should have been stopped right there.

Re: Etsy & Safe harbor violations, call Damon Greer on 202-482-5023 & he'll help you

No comments: